The BABOK® Guide, developed and published by the IIBA ‘is the globally recognized standard for the practice of business analysis. The BABOK® Guide describes business analysis knowledge areas, tasks, underlying competencies, techniques and perspectives on how to approach business analysis’.
BABOK® underwent a major revision in 2015, from version 2 to version 3, prompting the implementation of a new IIBA certification on the 1st October 2016.
The IIBA offer 4 levels of professional accreditation, all of which are assessed against BABOK® Version 3.
Level 1 ECBA™ Certification
Entry Criteria: 21 hours of relevant Professional Development in the last 4 years, Sign the IIBA Code of Conduct. There no requirement for; relevant work experience, practical experience of using the BABOK® or References.
- Basic Knowledge – Has a fundamental awareness of basic skills and knowledge involved in the competency.
- Understands – Recognizes the key elements of the competency and why they are important. However, not expected to have the experience nor skill level to act upon the competency.
- Follows Rules – Ability to adhere to prescribed ways to work in order to execute activities related to the competency. Generally, needs rules and guidelines to perform tasks.
Examination Style: Computer Based Testing, Basic Multiple Choice, 50 Questions in 1.5 Hours, testing Knowledge, and Understanding against BABOK® V3.
Level 2 ‘CCBA®’ Certification
Entry Criteria: 21 hours of relevant Professional Development in the last 4 years, Sign the IIBA Code of Conduct, Minimum 3750 hours work experience in the last 7 Years aligned to BABOK® V3, Minimum of 900 hours in 2 Knowledge Areas or 500 hours in 4 Knowledge, 2 References.
- Applied Knowledge – Has practiced the competency and skills have evolved working on small, less complex challenges or with guidance on large, more complex work.
- Recommends Action– Although generally works independently on small, well scoped challenges, still relies on expert help for more complex work. Skills, knowledge and confidence have developed to the level where appropriate actions are identified.
- Modifies Rules– Encounters situations where there is confidence to modify the guidelines that have been provided for addressing the challenge
Examination Style: Computer Based Testing, Scenario-based using Situations described in 2-4 sentences, 130 Questions in 3 Hours, testing the application of BABOK® V3.
Level 3 ‘CBAP®’ Certification
Entry Criteria: 35 hours of relevant Professional Development in the last 4 years, Sign the IIBA Code of Conduct, Minimum 7500 hours work experience in the last 7 Years aligned to BABOK® V3, Minimum of 900 hours in 4 Knowledge, 2 References.
- Advanced Knowledge – Skills and Knowledge have been fully developed through execution of work ranging from small well scoped work to addressing more complex, unstructured challenges or opportunities. Skills and knowledge required for the competency have become second nature.
- Guides Practice – This is a seasoned practitioner that is sought after for their expertise and guidance in solving or addressing business challenges or opportunities.
- Creates Rules – Actively provides insight to situations that fall within and outside of his/her domain or sphere of influence. In some cases, this will mean addressing new, unstructured business challenges or opportunities.
Examination Style: Computer Based Testing, Case study-based using Longer cases (1-1.5 pages) of information, 120 Questions in 3.5 Hours, testing the application of BABOK® V3.
Metadata Training Course
The Metadata Training Course has been designed to prepare delegates to sit the IIBA Level 1, 2 or 3 examination.
- covers the essential content of BABOK® V3 that supports Level 1, 2 & 3 certification study.
- explores the application of BABOK® V3 using example Case Studies to supports the more advanced demands of Level 2 & 3 proficiency.
- provides the professional development requirement of 35 hours’ study.
The course is presented as a combination of tutor lead on-line webinar sessions and face to face classroom sessions.
- PDF Copy of presentation slides
- Printed Copy of presentation slides
- Printed Copy of BABOK® V3 visual index
- Access to supporting multiple choice questions
- PDF Copy of example Case Studies
Click here to check the course schedule.
- BABOK® Version 3.0. (Mandatory)
Examinations & Course Exclusions
The IIBA examinations may be taken at Prometric sites only. Delegates will need to administer and schedule their own examination applications and exam timing through and using the IIBA / Prometric processes.
The course does not include fees/costs associated with applying for and taking the examination. It is the student’s responsibility to; ensure they satisfy the qualifying criteria defined and assessed by the IIBA necessary to sit the examination, prepare and submit their application to sit the exam, and arrange to sit the exam.