This highly interactive course will develop the practical skills you need to become an effective business analyst and equip you with a BCS (formerly ISEB) accreditation that is highly regarded by prestigious UK employers.
This course includes the BCS Certificate in Business Analysis Practice.
This course equips delegates with more than just a qualification – delegates learn real-world business skills that are easily applicable in the workplace.
Designed to introduce, develop and deepen your understanding of business analysis, this course combines theory and practice by first teaching key principles and then learning to apply them using case studies and collaborative tasks.
Our experienced lecturers will support you every step of the way, ensuring that you learn useful skills to help you in your professional life and that you pass the BCS exam to achieve your qualification.
On this course you will learn how to:
- Develop a business IT strategy
- Identify key performance indicators
- Understand stakeholder perspectives
- Model business activities
- Perform gap analysis
- Identify business improvements
- Manage project stakeholders
- Propose useful IT projects
- Identify costs and benefits for IT projects
Business analysis rationale:
- What is a business system.
- The place of business analysis.
- Business analysis versus systems analysis.
- Approaches to business analysis.
Strategic analysis in context:
- Understanding the organisation’s strengths and weaknesses.
- External analysis – PESTLE.
- Internal analysis – Resource Audit.
A project approach to business analysis:
- Business analysis studies as projects.
- Terms of reference and project initiation.
- Assuring business benefit.
Understanding the situation/issues:
- Types of business ‘problem’.
- Rich pictures.
- Defining the problem.
- Review of investigation techiques.
- Business perspective – introduction.
- Defining the perspective – CATWOE.
Analysing and modelling the business activities:
- Modelling business activities.
- Five types of business activity.
- Modelling multiple perspectives.
- Decomposing activities.
- Validating the business activity model.
- End-to-end process maps.
Creative problem solving:
- Barriers to creativity.
- Stimulating creative thinking.
Identifying potential solutions:
- Exploring the gap between the current and desired situation.
- Areas for business improvement (structure, processes, people)
- Holistic approach to business solutions.
- Discussion of business change programmes.
Making the business case:
- Contents of a business case.
- Costs and benefits.
- Impacts and risks.
- Payback and discounted cash flow.
- Presenting the business case.
Course summary and review:
- Review of concepts and approaches covered.
- Teaching by a real expert… all of our lecturers have years of practical business analysis and teaching experience
- Learning in a small class (maximum class size is 12) with time for discussion
- Course binders contain notes, case studies, and sample BCS exams
- Plenty of individual and small group case study exercises with worked solutions
- BCS “Business Analysis” book as pre-reading with your first Metadata course
- Suggested answers for the two practice exams and tutor support for the exam
- Delicious lunches and refreshments
- A convenient central London location near Old Street station with excellent facilities
- Exam fee included in price
- Choice of whether to take the exam immediately after the course or at a later date at no extra cost
- Continuing support as you progress to the BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis
- 1 year BCS Associate Membership from the Chartered Institute for IT – terms and conditions apply
Professionals seeking to improve their business analysis skills and knowledge
- Project experts including project managers, project support staff and project analysts
- Business experts including product owners, subject matter experts (SMEs), business change managers, senior users, project stakeholders
- IT experts including systems architects, software developers, testers, support and trainers
- Practising business analysts – experienced or junior
There are no formal prerequisites to attend the course but most delegates have a graduate-level education and some business experience.
1. What makes Metadata different?
Metadata is specialised in business analysis courses and aims to offer a more personalised and flexible training experience. We are committed to creating long-lasting relationships with the delegates and companies we work with, and with supporting their training every step of the way. As a direct seller, we have the flexibility to tailor our courses to suit the needs of our clients.
2. Are your courses accredited?
3. Is the exam fee included in the price?
Yes, the course price includes the exam fee – the majority of our clients want to take the exam which is why we offer the course and exam together as a package. If you do not require an exam, please let us know when you book and we will deduct the fee from the price – we can also provide you with a certificate of attendance.
Please note: the courses count as professional development credits towards the IIBA CBAP qualifications.
4. In which order should I take the modules?
Most of our delegates start with Business Analysis Practice or Requirements Engineering as they are the core modules of the diploma – if you have no previous experience in the field we would recommend that you do the same. However, if you are already working as a business analyst or have relevant experience, you can take the modules in whichever order suits you best. Please give us a call if you would like to discuss which order would be most appropriate for you.
5. Do I need IT skills to attend the courses?
No, none of our courses requires you to have IT skills.
6. What is the difference between the 2-day weekend and 3-day midweek courses for the same module?
The same material is covered in both courses but because we fit the weekend course into two days instead of three it is more intense. The weekend courses begin at 9 am and finish at 6:30 pm, with a few short breaks; the midweek courses start at 9:30 am and finish at 5 pm, with an hour break for lunch.
7. Can I cancel a booking?
Yes, you can cancel a booking but in order to do so without penalty, we require 10 days notice. For more information on our cancellation policy, see our terms and conditions.
8. When do I pay for the course?
Please refer to our terms and conditions.
9. When will I receive the training material?
When you book onto a course we will send you a copy of our core textbook Business Analysis. One week before the start of the course we will email you the chapters to read and any extra reading material you need. You will receive additional material (including slides and exam preparation) during the course.
10. Do I need to prepare for the course?
We recommend you do some pre-reading as this will help you to get the most out of the course. We will send you the required material (including a case study) one week before the course start.
11. When do I take the exam?
Most of our delegates take the exam immediately after finishing the course (on the last day), but if you prefer you can take it at a later date. We run exams every Thursday evenings at 18:00 and some weekends (please contact us to check availability).
12. What is the pass rate for the exams?
We have a high pass rate – currently it’s at 95%.
13. What happens if I fail an exam?
If you fail an exam you will receive personal feedback from your tutor which will include a report detailing the reason for failure and areas to work on. If you wish to re-sit, you will need to pay a further exam fee of £145+VAT.
Our courses are designed with the exam in mind and we do our best to prepare you as much as we can – to this end, we provide around 3 case studies to practice on, as well as a sample exam.
14. Do I get a certificate at the end of each course?
Yes, BCS will email you a registration login to download a copy of your e-certificate.
15. What is the advantage of booking the Diploma package?
The main advantage of the package is cost as it’s considerably cheaper to do the Diploma than to pay for each course separately.
Another advantage to the Diploma package is the motivation you’ll get from committing to do the whole diploma. Delegates who book onto the full diploma usually become qualified business analysts much quicker than those who do it on a course by course basis.
16. How does the Diploma in Business Analysis Bundle work?
The Diploma in Business Analysis Bundle is designed for delegates who want to achieve the International Diploma in Business Analysis qualification. To get this qualification you need to pass an oral exam with BCS examiners. To qualify for this oral exam first you need to pass the exam for 4 individual modules.
Our Business Analysis Diploma package contains the following 4 modules: Business Analysis Practice, Requirements Engineering, Commercial Awareness or Foundation in Business Analysis and, either Systems Development Essentials or Modelling Business Processes. Each course is a separate, self-contained unit leading to an individual exam and a BCS Business Analysis Practitioner certificate qualification. You can attend the courses midweek or at weekends, and choose the dates depending on your availability and time constraints.
17. Can the business analysis training help me to get a job?
BCS qualifications are gaining recognition among UK employers and many employers now include them in their job descriptions. Our delegates frequently tell us how much of a difference their BCS certificate made in securing a job.
18. Can Metadata help me to get a job?
We help professionals achieve recognised certifications that increase their chances of getting a job.
19. Can I pay in instalments?
It is possible to pay for the Diploma in Business Analysis in instalments. To arrange this, please contact us for details.
20. If I sign up for the Diploma package, how long do I have in which to complete it?
You have one year to complete the diploma in business analysis after you sign in.
Dates and bookings
|Date||Duration||Location||Delivery||Price (ex VAT)||Availability|
|Mon 7 – Wed 9 Aug||3 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 19 – Sun 20 Aug||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 21 – Wed 23 Aug||3 days||London||weekday||
ends 11 Aug
|Mon 4 – Wed 6 Sep||3 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 16 – Sun 17 Sep||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 18 – Wed 20 Sep||3 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 30 Sep – Sun 1 Oct||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 2 – Wed 4 Oct||3 days||London||weekday||
|Mon 16 – Wed 18 Oct||3 days||London||weekday||
|Mon 30 Oct – Wed 1 Nov||3 days||London||weekday||
|Mon 13 – Wed 15 Nov||3 days||London||weekday||
|Mon 27 – Wed 29 Nov||3 days||London||weekday||
|Mon 11 – Wed 13 Dec||3 days||London||weekday||
Why choose us
- Weekend/midweek courses
- Experienced lecturers
- Flexible course and exam dates
- 95% pass rate on exam
- Small class size
- Central London location