Modelling Business Processes will equip you with the skills you need to identify, model and improve business processes in your organisation. This is a practitioner-level BCS certification leading to the BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis.
During this course you will learn to identify, analyse and model business processes at various levels, and to identify process measures and opportunities for improvement. This course consists of highly practical discussions of key topics based around case studies. You will work individually and in small groups to practise all the techniques we teach, including the BPMN, which is rapidly becoming the defacto standard for process modelling.
1. The context for business process modelling
- Business Systems vs. Automated Systems
- Purpose of business process modelling
- Approaches to business process modelling
2. Identifying processes
- Strategic context and business goals
- Value Chain Analysis
- Building an organisational view of processes
- Differences between the process and function
- Definition of a business process
- Importance of metrics and measurements
- Processes hierarchies
3. Modelling processes
- Overview of process modelling techniques
- Business Process Modelling Notation (BPMN)
- Modelling as-is business processes
- Events, Triggers, Outcomes, and Actors
- The business rules that underpin the process
- Identifying current standards and measures
4. Evaluating and improving processes
- Identifying problems with the as-is process
- Analysing the work flow
- Staff performance issues
- Challenging the business rules
- Approaches to process improvement
- Modelling the to-be business processes
- Identifying the new standards and measures
- Business process models & IT requirements
- Organisational design & Skills Profiling
6. Course Summary & Review
- Review concepts & approaches covered
- Teaching by a real expert… all of our lecturers have years of practical business analysis and teaching experience
- Learning in a small class (maximum class size is 12) with plenty of time for discussion
- Course binders containing notes, case studies, and sample BCS exams
- Individual and small-group case study exercises with worked solutions
- BCS textbook Business Analysis sent out as pre-reading with your first Metadata course
- Suggested answers for the two practice exams and tutor support for the exam
- Choice of whether to take the exam immediately after the course or at a later date
- Continuing support as you progress to the BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis
- A convenient central London location near Old Street station with excellent facilities
- Exam fee
- Refreshments and lunches
- 1 year BCS Associate Membership from the Chartered Institute for IT – terms and conditions apply
The certificate is relevant to anyone requiring an understanding of business processes, including business analysts, business managers and their staff, business change managers and project managers.
1. What makes Metadata different?
Metadata is specialised in business analysis courses and aims to offer a more personalised and flexible training experience. We are committed to creating long-lasting relationships with the delegates and companies we work with, and with supporting their training every step of the way. As a direct seller, we have the flexibility to tailor our courses to suit the needs of our clients.
2. Are your courses accredited?
3. Is the exam fee included in the price?
Yes, the course price includes the exam fee – the majority of our clients want to take the exam which is why we offer the course and exam together as a package. If you do not require an exam, please let us know when you book and we will deduct the fee from the price – we can also provide you with a certificate of attendance.
Please note: the courses count as professional development credits towards the IIBA CBAP qualifications.
4. In which order should I take the modules?
Most of our delegates start with Business Analysis Practice or Requirements Engineering as they are the core modules of the diploma – if you have no previous experience in the field we would recommend that you do the same. However, if you are already working as a business analyst or have relevant experience, you can take the modules in whichever order suits you best. Please give us a call if you would like to discuss which order would be most appropriate for you.
5. Do I need IT skills to attend the courses?
No, none of our courses require you to have IT skills.
6. What is the difference between the 2-day weekend and 3-day midweek courses for the same module?
The same material is covered on both courses but because we fit the weekend course into two days instead of three it is more intense. The weekend courses begin at 9am and finish at 6:30pm, with a few short breaks; the midweek courses start at 9:30am and finish at 5pm, with an hour break for lunch.
7. Can I cancel a booking?
Yes, you can cancel a booking but in order to do so without penalty we require 10 days notice. For more information on our cancellation policy, see our terms and conditions.
8. When do I pay for the course?
Please refer to our terms and conditions.
9. When will I receive the training material?
When you book onto a course we will send you a copy of our core textbook Business Analysis. One week before the start of the course we will email you the chapters to read and any extra reading material you need. You will receive additional material (including slides and exam preparation) during the course.
10. Do I need to prepare for the course?
We recommend you do some pre-reading as this will help you to get the most out of the course. We will send you the required material (including a case study) one week before the course start.
11. When do I take the exam?
Most of our delegates take the exam immediately upon finishing the course (on the last day), but if you prefer you can take it at a later date. We run exams every Thursday evenings at 18:00 and some weekends (please contact us to check availability).
12. What is the pass rate for the exams?
We have a high pass rate – currently it’s at 95%.
13. What happens if I fail an exam?
If you fail an exam you will receive personal feedback from your tutor which will include a report detailing the reason for failure and areas to work on. If you wish to re-sit, you will need to pay a further exam fee of £145+VAT.
Our courses are designed with the exam in mind and we do our best to prepare you as much as we can – to this end, we provide around 3 case studies to practice on, as well as a sample exam.
14. Do I get a certificate at the end of each course?
Yes, BCS will email you a registration login to download a copy of your e-certificate.
15. What is the advantage of booking the Diploma package?
The main advantage of the package is cost as it’s considerably cheaper to do the Diploma than to pay for each course separately.
Another advantage to the Diploma package is the motivation you’ll get from committing to do the whole diploma. Delegates who book onto the full diploma usually become qualified business analysts much quicker than those who do it on a course by course basis.
16. How does the Diploma in Business Analysis package work?
The Diploma in Business Analysis package is designed for delegates who want to achieve the International Diploma in Business Analysis qualification. To get this qualification you need to pass an oral exam with BCS examiners. To qualify for this oral exam first you need to pass the exam for 4 individual modules.
Our Business Analysis Diploma package contains the following 4 modules: Business Analysis Practice, Requirements Engineering, Commercial Awareness or Foundation in Business Analysis and, either Systems Development Essentials or Modelling Business Processes. Each course is a separate, self contained unit leading to an individual exam and a BCS Business Analysis Practitioner certificate qualification. You can attend the courses midweek or at weekends, and choose the dates depending on your availability and time constraints.
17. Can the business analysis training help me to get a job?
BCS qualifications are gaining recognition among UK employers and many employers now include them in their job descriptions. Our delegates frequently tell us how much of a difference their BCS certificate made in securing a job.
18. Can Metadata help me to get a job?
No, we don’t connect our delegates with potential recruiters.
19. Can I pay in instalments?
It is possible to pay for the Diploma in Business Analysis in instalments. To arrange this, please contact us for details.
20. If I sign up for the Diploma package, how long do I have in which to complete it?
You have one year to complete the diploma in business analysis after you sign in.
Dates and bookings
|Date||Duration||Location||Delivery||Price (ex VAT)||Availability|
|Mon 23 – Tue 24 Apr||2 days||London||weekday||
||2 spaces||Book >|
|Sat 12 – Sun 13 May||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 21 – Tue 22 May||2 days||London||weekday||
|Mon 4 – Tue 5 Jun||2 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 30 Jun – Sun 1 Jul||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 30 – Tue 31 Jul||2 days||London||weekday||
|Mon 13 – Tue 14 Aug||2 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 08 – Sun 09 Sep||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 24 – Tue 25 Sep||2 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 6 – Sun 7 Oct||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 8 – Tue 9 Oct||2 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 3 – Sun 4 Nov||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 5 – Tue 6 Nov||2 days||London||weekday||
|Sat 1 – Sun 2 Dec||2 days||London||weekend||
|Mon 10 – Tue 11 Dec||2 days||London||weekday||
Our delegates say
Why choose us
- Weekend/midweek courses
- Experienced lecturers
- Flexible course and exam dates
- 95% pass rate on exam
- Small class size
- Central London location